Leslie Collins, Executive Director of DiscoverE, talks today with Rebecca Linder about being a part of the force behind Engineers Week and Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day. Having hosted both in-person and online events, Leslie speaks of the challenges and rewards of raising awareness to the field of engineering for kids and young adults, and delivering value to sponsors in their volunteer-based event system.
• How to create buzz and attract volunteers to a non-profit event
• Leveraging social media to benefit sponsors and potential audience
• High-tech message with a low-tech budget
• Avoiding virtual event pitfalls
• Organizing thought leaders to power events that make a difference
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Introduce a Girl to Engineering
Future City Competition
Future City Case Study
Global Marathon For, By, and About Women in Engineering and Technology
C2 – C2 Montreal: Commerce + Creativity
NOGLSTP – National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals, Inc.
Leslie Collins is the Executive Director of DiscoverE. She created the DiscoverE outreach campaign (1990) which led to an activist volunteer outreach movement and has evolved into the new organizational name. She also created Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day and Global Marathon For, By and About Women in Engineering & Technology.